Fascinating Wireless Facts
1. U.S. has the highest minutes of use (MOUs) per month per user and the lowest average revenue per minute of service of the 26 OECD countries tracked by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
2. The FCC’s consumer survey released in June 2010 found that, “92% of cell phone users are very or somewhat satisfied with their cell phone service overall.”
3. Wireless economic contributions have grown faster (16%) than the rest of the economy (3%).
4. 3G technology has been deployed to areas covering more than 92% of the U.S. population.
5. Despite having 6% of global wireless subscribers, the U.S. is home to more than 21% of global 3G subscribers.
6. The U.S. has more unique 3G subscribers (123.2 million) than the five largest EU countries combined (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK).
7. Under revised Horizontal Merger guidelines by DOJ and FTC, U.S. is the only wireless market among the 26 OECD countries not classified as “highly concentrated.”
8. At the end of 2009, the average revenue per minute in the U.S. was $0.04. Across Europe’s developed countries, the average revenue per minute was $0.16. As a result, the average wireless consumer in Europe used just 160 minutes a month compared to over 824 minutes a month for the U.S.
9. The wireless industry directly/indirectly employs >2.4 million Americans.
10. In 2009, U.S. providers reported making capital investments totaling $20.4 billion, which was more than the providers in the 5 largest European countries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK) spent combined ($17.9 billion).
Facts courtesy of The International Association for the Wireless Telecommunications Industry (CTIA.org).
Wireless Toyz History
Led by CEO and founder Joe Barbat, Wireless Toyz is a family of retail franchises selling cellular devices and accessories. Wireless Toyz allows shoppers to choose from a broad range of phones and compare service providers to ensure that they select the best products to meet their needs.
Joe Barbat first conceived of a business bringing together several different service providers at a very young age. After discerning a growing market for wireless products, Joe Barbat opened a pager kiosk, the predecessor to Wireless Toyz, in his father’s video store. From that time on, steadily increasing revenues enabled Joe Barbat to expand operations to his own location, then to franchising in 2001.
In 2007, Wireless Toyz was acquired by a private equity firm. After Wireless Toyz underwent a number of negative impacts in 2008 and 2009, Joe Barbat regained ownership of the company and is currently employing his versatile, results-driven leadership to re-aligning it. Under Joe Barbat’s guidance, Wireless Toyz aims to regain its status as a nationally recognized name.
Philanthropic efforts remain of the highest importance to Joe Barbat and Wireless Toyz. When Wireless Toyz celebrated its 10th anniversary, the company donated proceeds from the sales of a new store in Texas to the Miracle League of Frisco, and Joe Barbat has used his work with Wireless Toyz to benefit a variety of other organizations.
Wireless Toyz is located in Southfield, Michigan. For more information about the company and the products and services available at the nearest Wireless Toyz location, visit www.wirelesstoyz.com.